May 6, 2011

John Galliano has a new Lawyer

John Galliano's trial date is approaching. On May 12th Galliano is expected in the High Court to stand trial on a charge of public insult.
Galliano has new legal representation. Aurélien Hamelle at Metzner Associés in Paris has been appointed to represent the designer according to his London based publicist Jo Milloy. Stéphane Zerbib was recently dismissed as Galliano's lawyer following the discovery of apparent irregularities in respect to his firm's administration of Galliano's financial affairs over the years. Zerbib is unreachable for any comment.


During the whirlpool of disintegration, Galliano was dismissed from Dior and even from his namesake house and being charged for hurling insults to three people. An intense video spread like fire in cyberspace showing Galliano slurring "I love Hitler". When I saw this video, I thought how intoxicated he was with alcohol. All I saw was someone who was absolutely drunk and had absolutely no idea what he was saying or doing. It may be possible that he if he went home and woke up the next day, he would not even remember what he said or did that night.
The penalty in France for insult against people due to their origin, belonging or not belonging to religion, race or ethnicity is six month imprisonment and a fine of 22,500 euros, or $31,217 at current exchange, according to the French prosecutor.


The designer is currently receiving extended "after care" when he completed an intensive on month treatment at a rehabilitation center in Arizona.
Galliano apologized in March saying: "I must take responsibility for the circumstances in which I find myself and for allowing myself to be seen to be behaving in the worst possible light. I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion."

As the court date approaches I am sure the press is gearing up to be right there before, during and after the trial. Who knows what the outcome will be. What ever it will be it is going be a new start to a new beginning for Galliano's life. For me this is a demonstration that we are all human. We make mistakes. We have a choice in that moment to either punish ourselves or berate ourselves for making them or we can take a breath and look at the mistake and notice what to do the next time and to tell ourselves that everything is fine and that evreything is going to be OK. I know I would choose to do the thing that would make me feel better and loved. Which choice do you think would make you feel better?

No comments:

Post a Comment